SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) 1806 Step by Step Upgrade Guide
Microsoft has released new version of in-console update ie 1806 for SCCM Current Branch. You can apply this updated on sites that run version 1706, 1710 or 1802.
As version 1806 is an in-console update, not a baseline version:
- You can upgrade to 1806 only from SCCM version 1706,1710 or 1802.
- If you have to do a fresh setup of SCCM. Then first you need to install SCCM using Baseline version 1802, once installed – 1806 can be installed as In-Console update.
What is In-console Update
- In-console updates provides greater flexibility of upgrading the SCCM Current Branch by getting updates of SCCM within SCCM console only.
- You just need to make sure that “Service connection point site system role” should be installed on SCCM to make sure synchronization schedule pull latest updates for SCCM.
- Once you install in-console update on CAS site, updates are automatically been applied to Primary sites. For secondary sites, you need to initiate it manually.
SCCM Supported Versions
Following are the supported versions of Configuration Manager by Microsoft:
Some updates for Configuration Manager are available as both an in-console update version for existing infrastructure, and as a new baseline version.
The following supported versions of Configuration Manager are currently available as a baseline, an update, or both:
|Version||Availability date||Support end date||Baseline||In-console update|
|July 31, 2018||January 31, 2020||No||Yes|
|March 22, 2018||September 22, 2019||Yes||Yes|
|November 20, 2017||May 20, 2019||No||Yes|
|July 31, 2017||July 31, 2018||No||Yes|
Note: Starting from SCCM Version 1710, supported has been change to 18 months as previously SCCM current branch support cycle was 12 months only.
Supported Baseline Version:
SCCM 1802 is the only supported Baseline version as previous Baseline version 1702 support has already been ended on March 27, 2018. SCCM 2012 can be upgraded using this version of SCCM as you can download the complete source of SCCM 1802 through Volume Licensing Service Center. This also means that if you have to do the fresh setup of SCCM, you can use this Baseline version for installation.
New features included in SCCM 1806
- Site Server high availability
- Exclude Active Directory containers from discovery
- Configure a remote content library for the site server
- Pull-distribution points support cloud distribution points as source
- Enable distribution points to use network congestion control
- Partial download support in client peer cache to reduce WAN utilization
- Boundary group options for peer downloads
- Azure AD device identity
- CMTrace installed with client
- Cloud management dashboard
- Office Customization Tool integration with the Office 365 Installer
- Uninstall application on approval revocation
- Create a phased deployment with manually configured phases
- Improvements to PXE-enabled distribution points
- Network access account not required for some scenarios
For a complete list, you can follow whats new in version 1806
Checklist for SCCM 1806
- Ensure that all sites run a version of System Center Configuration Manager that supports update to 1806
- Review the status of your product licensing
- Review Microsoft .NET versions on site system servers
- Review the version of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10 : The Windows 10 ADK should be version 1709 or later. If you must update the Windows ADK, do so before you begin the update of Configuration Manager. This ensures the default boot images are automatically updated to the latest version of Windows PE. (Custom boot images must be updated manually.)
- Review the site and hierarchy status and verify that there are no unresolved issues
- Review file and data replication between sites
- Install all applicable critical updates for operating systems on computers that host the site, the site database server, and remote site system roles
- Disable database replicas for management points at primary sites
- Set SQL Server AlwaysOn availability groups to manual failover
- Reconfigure software update points that use NLBs
- Disable all site maintenance tasks at each site for the duration of the update installation on that site
- Temporarily stop any antivirus software on the System Center Configuration Manager servers
- Create a backup of the site database at the central administration site and primary sites
For more details, check: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/checklist-for-installing-update-1806
Let’s Begin the installation
As SCCM Version 1806 has recently released, for next couple of weeks it might not be visible under “Updates and Servicing”. You can still get this update using a PowerShell script provided by Microsoft which enables you to be on Fast Ring to get the updated right away.
You can download the script (in form of exe) from Microsoft Website. Once download you need to extract it in a folder which contains EnableFastUpdateRing1806.ps1
Open SCCM Console, click on Administration Tab, go to Overview > Updates and Servicing. On right Pane you will be able to see now “Configuration Manager 1806” showing status as downloading. If not, then right click “download”.
Update will be download as cab file under following location (F:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\EasySetupPayload\5b823327-92d9-4908-a24c-8d8c6625f407) and can be verified using log file dmpdownload.log
Verify Downloading Status
Downloading can also be verified by running command: Bitsadmin /list /allusers in command prompt:
Downloading status can be verified through Monitoring \ Overview \ Updates and Servicing Status:
Right click and select Status to see detailed status:
Once downloaded it will extract the content with same name folder as cab file. Original Cab file will be deleted then. Following can be verified in the log dmpdownloader.log showing details:
Run Prerequisite Check
Once update is downloaded, right click “configuration Manager 1806” on console and select “Run Prerequisite Check”. Verify CMUpdate.log for process initiation and verify c:\ConfigMgrPrereq.log for success or failure.
Right click “Configuration manager 1806” and click on install.
Click next to complete
Once installation is done, and you try to open the SCCM console, this will ask you to update your console.
This will initiate download of console
Downloading & installation of console can be verified through log file c:\ConfigMgrAdminUISetupVerbose.log
Once completed you can verify the site version and control version (by clicking on top left of the SCCM ribbon and selection option “About Configuration Manager”
Updated client version (5.00.8692.1003) is currently Pre-production client version which is targeted on collection “Client Pilot Collection” as we selected during installation Phase: