In this Blog I will be going through the process of creating MDT Task Sequence. Creating MDT TS is a one stop shop of creating all components required for task sequence to run such as OS Image, Boot Image, ConfigMgr client package etc and also one of the most important packages related to MDT ie. MDT toolkit file Package and MDT Settings Package.
Why we need MDT Task Sequence
The process of creating MDT Task Sequence allows so many benefits such as:
- Creation of all other packages required to run task sequence such as OS Image, Boot Image, ConfigMgr client package, USMT Package etc.
- One major reason for creating MDT Task sequence is : creation of MDT toolkit file package and MDT settings package. These packages can only be created as a part of creating MDT Task Sequence.
- MDT Task Sequence comes up with so many benefits to handle multiple scenarios of deploying the OS. This comes up with inbuild readymade templates such as “Client Task Sequence”, “Client Replace Task Sequence”, “Server Task Sequence” as few others.
- If you feel and find that MDT Task Sequence is too lengthy and completed, then no worries. Still proceed with MDT Task Sequence as the packages such as MDT toolkit package and MDT Settings package can be used standalone in SCCM Task Sequences at later stage.
- MDT Task Sequence gives the power of using variables such as IsLaptop, IsVM, SerialNumber, Product,Model, UUID, IsUEFI, IsOnBattery and others which are very beneficial during the OS deployment for condition based deployment
Requirement for MDT Task Sequence creation
To create MDT Task Sequence, you have to integrate MDT with SCCM. Once MDT is successfully integrated with SCCM, you will be able to find new option under task sequence ie. “Create MDT Task Sequence”.
Create MDT Task Sequence
Launch SCCM Console, navigate to \Software Library\Overview\Operating Systems\Task Sequences. Right click Task Sequences and select Create MDT Task Sequence.
Under Choose Template page, select Client Task Sequence, click Next.
Under General page, provide Task Sequence Name, I am choosing Win10 1909 with MDT. Click Next.
Under Details page, provide information for “Join a Domain” also set the Account to use during domain joining. Under Administrator Account I am selecting the option “Enable the account and specify the local administrator password” as it will help in case TS fails and I can login to the system with specified password.
Under Capture Settings page, select “This task sequence will never be used to capture an image” as we are not interested capturing the image. Click Next.
Under Boot Image page, you have option to create a new boot image package. I am proceeding with existing boot image, hence selecting Specify an existing boot image package. Click Next.
Under MDT Package page, this gives the opportunity to create MDT Package. Select Create a new Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Files package. Provide the source location with an empty folder and click Next.
Under MDT Details page, specify Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Files package properties, once entered click Next.
Under OS Image page, we see lots of option for creating or selecting existing image. As I already have image imported, I will select Specify an existing OS image, click Next.
Under Deployment Method page, select Perform a “Zero Touch Installation” OS deployment, with no user interaction. Click Next.
Under Client Package page, specify an existing ConfigMgr client package as I already have a package, this gives option to create new client package as well. Click Next.
Under USMT Package page, create a new USMT package. This requires a valid path to USMT executables and related files. Provide empty folder location you wanted to create as USMT package, click Next.
Under USMT Details page, specify USMT package properties, click Next.
Under Settings Package page, this is the opportunity to create MDT Settings Package which contains CustomSettings.ini and Unattended.xml installation files needed for OS deployment. Click Next.
Under Settings Details page, specify the settings package properties, click Next.
Under Sysprep Package, click Next.
Under Summary page, verify all the values and click Next.
Task Sequence creation progress will go through creation of all packages we specified for creating.
Once completed, you will see The process completed successfully notification. Showing couple of package ID’s creating during the process.
Existing boot image MAN00065 will be used.
Creating MDT files package.
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit files package created.
Existing OS image package MAN00044 will be used.
Existing SMS client package MAN00003 will be used.
Creating USMT package.
USMT package created.
Creating settings package.
Settings package created.
Customizing task sequence.
Task sequence customization completed.
Importing task sequence into Configuration Manager.
Task sequence imported successfully.
We can see all packages got created with content showing below for MDT Toolkit Package, MDT Settings Package and USMT Package.
These MDT Toolkit Package and MDT Settings Package are ready to be used in other SCCM Task Sequence as well.