In this post I will show you how to upgrade Configuration Manager evaluation version to full licensed version. When you install Evaluation version of Configuration manager, it provides you 180 days of trial period. There after it goes into read-only mode. To fully utilize the existing evaluation version we need to Product key and below mentioned steps to make it full licensed version.
Upgrade Evaluation version to Full Licensed version
When you launch Configuration manager, on windows title bar you will be able to see the remaining evaluation days left.
Evaluation version can be converted in full version using either of the following:
- Running setup.exe from ConfigMgr directory and navigating to BIN\X64\Setup.exe.
- By going to Programs and Features and select “Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Primary Site Setup” and click on Uninstall/Change.
Let’s go with first option, in my case setup.exe location was C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\X64\setup.exe
This will launch Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Setup Wizard, click Next.
On Available Setup Options, you will be able to see multiple options:
- Install a Configuration Manager primary site
- Install a Configuration Manager central administration site
- Upgrade this Configuration Manager site
- Recover a site
- Perform site maintenance or reset this site
- Uninstall this Configuration Manager site
Only last 2 options will be made available, others will be greyed out. Select Perform site maintenance or reset this site and click Next.
On Site Maintenance page, you will again see couple of options such as:
- Reset site with no configuration changes
- Modify SQL Server configuration
- Modify SMS Provider configuration
- Upgrade the evaluation edition to a licensed edition. Enter the 25 character product key
With last option select, provide the product key and click Next.
On Product License Terms, agree to the terms by checking the all boxes and click Next.
Core setup will be finished, you can verify the status by click on “View Log” which will eventually open c:\ConfigMgrSetup.log.
The log file will clearly show you message “Converting from Evaluation to Full Product Version” along with all other useful information related to it.
Close the Configuration Manager console if already opened. Relaunch it and you will see the Evaluation notification would have gone now.
Conversion of Full licensed version can be done for both “Central Administration Site” and “Primary Site”.
Issue – Perform site maintenance or reset this site is greyed out
If you see site maintenance or reset this site option as greyed out, then you need to make changes into registry.
Open registry (regedit) and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Setup, change the registry key value Phase (REG_DWord) value to 455 (Decimal)